Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Windows 7 Mini-Review Part 5

Today’s review is just a mini review. One of the first things that many people do when installing Windows is install codecs, well no more! Windows 7 now supports H.264, AAC, MP4, 3GPP, 3GPP2, ASP, AVCHD, and HDV. Windows 7 also natively supports XVID. I opened up one of my videos after installing Windows 7, and it started playing. It had been a while since I reinstalled Windows, so I had forgotten about codecs. A few days later it hit me, I hadn’t needed to install any codecs!

In addition, transcoding is being build into the Windows 7 shell. Dragging and dropping videos into a portable player auto-converts the video to the format that the player prefers. It also supports hardware based transcoders which can be built into the motherboard. They are not common now, but may become more common later on.

(Images from istartedsomething)

No comments: